Which is cool, since that means we all got through the dreaded 2012.
In any case, I figured it was about time to make the ‘this was my year in case I didn’t tell you enough about it already, and stuff that will hopefully happen next year’ post. Fair? You had to know it was coming.
Might as well start by going through my resolutions from last year’s post:
- Get the damned GED out of the way.
- And a license. Finally.
- Perhaps an actual steady job.
- Don’t die in the apocalypse.
Keeping that list in mind, I give you my bullet-point list of Good And/Or Productive Things That Happened In 2012:
- Got the GED. Immense happies were had by all.
- Got the license. Finally.
- Didn’t really pick up a ‘real’ job, but I DID get a source of steady income, even if it’s not much, with babysitting. [Steadier because one of the new families is 4 days a week.] So there’s that. It’ll do.
- Didn’t die in the apocalypse. The apocalypse that didn’t happen.
- Got to see a bunch of friends I don’t normally get to, including meeting a bunch of really good ones for the first time.
- Met Ed Sheeran. That should be proof enough my year was better than yours.
- Went to…12 concerts, including the Vans Warped Tour for the first time. Totally almost passed out. All good.
- Had a couple little vacations, all to parts of Florida I hadn’t been to yet, so that was cool.
- Finally got my boyfriend watching Star Wars. [I know – gasp shock horror. My sisters and I bought my dad all the DVDs for Christmas, and so far I’ve gotten him through 4/6. It’s a process. It’s going well.]
- Actually got Christmas presents done in time, for once.
- Boyfriend built me a new PC so I can actually play games now.
- Chopped my hair off. I consider this a good thing because it HAD TO GO and change is good sometimes.
- Dyed my hair neon orange. That was fun.
- Didn’t have anything drastically bad happen.
- They built a Panera Bread within a reasonable distance from me.
So that’s all pretty cool.
Alternately, some downsides:
- Got sick way more often than I normally do. I chalk it up mainly to the babysitting. Kids are always sick. It is ridiculous.
- Missed Yellowcard [though I counted it as one of my 12 shows, since we did technically see the first two bands] due to boyfriend having food poisoning. All good though; saw them at Warped. And they’ll be back at some point.
- Uhm…Yeah, no that’s about it. I’m sure there are at least a few more iffy things that happened, but at the moment I can’t think of them. Overall it was a pretty good year and even the lame things wound up being okay. YAY.
So obviously with the failed apocalypse being the most convenient thing of 2012, everything else was pretty awesome too. Was a good year. I remember saying a year ago that 2012 would have a lot to live up to with 2011, but I think it beat it. So that’s cool. Here’s hoping the pattern repeats in 2013.
And on that note, we’d might as well make up some resolutions for that one so I can do this again a year from now and see if I did as well as I did on them this year.
Same as last time, I could do ‘eat better, exercise more, be nicer’ but….I like food, I try to be at least somewhat active and I can’t promise to exercise 6 days a week or eat salads every night, because shit happens. And I’m nice as long as it’s deserved. So again, we’ll go with more reasonable, useful goals:
- Get steadier income. Even if it’s more babysitting instead of a normal job. I don’t care, just more than what’s coming in now.
- Get either a tattoo or a new piercing. [Plenty I want, I’d like to check at least something off my list since I didn’t ‘do any this year, or the last few.]
- Go somewhere new, even if it’s just in the state.
- Do not cut back severely on going to shows just to save money. A little is acceptable, but they make me way too happy to skip.
Fair. I’d like to put ‘get a car and move the hell out’ but those both depend on too many other variables to plan on. Might not be this year. If either happens, kickass, but I won’t plan on them just so I won’t be disappointed. Not because I don’t feel like trying, but because they depend on more than just my effort. Bam. Foolproof.
I’d also make a note to make it a point to meet as many other friends-I’ve-yet-to-see as possible, but that’s also up to more than me. Still.
So there we go. No real plans for 2013 thus far. Seeing a couple friends in a few days, so that’ll be a good start if nothing changes. Boyfriend mentioned something about going to Kentucky in April, but I’m not sure if that was a thinking-out-loud deal or a hopeful plan. We shall see. Otherwise, nothing much settled on. Which leaves a nice open slate.
Lastly, because I feel like it, a bit of ‘lasts’ for 2012.
- Last show – Sum 41, December 8th. [KICKASS. SO MANY KINDS OF KICKASS. Brilliant way to end my year of concerts.]
- Last movie watched – Star Wars Episode I: The Empire Strikes Back [Definitely not for the first time, but I will forever love Star Wars as a whole.]
- Last movie watched in theaters – The Hobbit [Fucking brilliant. Cannot wait for the next part.]
Last piece of art completed – PICTURES. HERE. HAVE PICTURES. This one’s on a big cardboard box and will be going on the giant empty bit of wall above my closet. I might fix it eventually, but I’m done with it for now. QUOTES. “The cure for anything is salt water…sweat, tears, or the sea” – Isak Dinesen. That one will be going above another quote-canvas of a proverb “A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.” I figured the ocean-theme and all, they should stick together.
The second one is “Not all those who wander are lost” from J.R.R Tolkien, because I could not love that any more if I tried.
Random doodle with the wonderful Prismacolor markers my boyfriend got me for my birthday, and the watercolor pencils I bought for myself last week because WATERCOLOR PENCILS. As another friend put it, painting with pencils is like drinking food. [I got them for him and another friend for Christmas, and I decided I should probably try them out as well. Awesome.]
So that’s pretty much that.
See you guys next year.